No one around here remembers the library EVER being open on Mondays. I can’t quite believe that in the nearly 60-year history of Camp Verde Community Library, it has never been open on Mondays. Either way, we are getting ready to change the pattern.
Starting August 4 at 8:00 am, we will be open on Mondays and a little later on Fridays and Saturdays. Our new schedule will take us from 45.5 hours per week to 58.5 hours per week, a 13 hour per week increase. Our open hours are as follows:
- Monday 8:00 am – 4:30 pm
- Tuesday-Thursday 8:00 am – 7:00 pm
- Friday-Saturday 8:00 am – 4:30 pm
- Sunday CLOSED
We are making this change for several reasons.
- I have been working on Mondays for over a year. In that time the number of people attempting to access library services on Monday has increased. The demand is there. We have the staff onboard to handle one more day per week. We can make library services and resources available to our community six days a week. It’s time to make it happen.
- Opening on Monday allows us to set aside one day per week for adult programs and activities. Children’s and Teen programs and activities will continue to be scheduled on Tuesday – Saturday leaving Monday for focus on adults. We love having children, teens and families in the library but we realize the there is a certain noise level associated with all the FUN! we have. Patrons seeking a quieter atmosphere at the library should give Mondays a try.
- Opening on Monday allows staff to work more routine schedules with predictable holiday closures and days off. Set routines help us adapt to other changes and allow us to create healthier habits incorporating exercise, good nutrition and enough sleep into our personal lives. Healthier habits make us better employees so we have the energy and reserves needed to be the best we possibly can at our respective jobs.
- We have trained and placed many new volunteers over the past couple of years. Hours given by volunteers in fiscal year 2014 increased 86.8% over fiscal year 2013 and the number of volunteers increased 50%. Our volunteers are professionally trained to help out with a variety of tasks at the library and we depend on them every day. Our dependence on volunteers grows as we grow in services, resources and size. By opening on Monday, we have one more day per week in which to accept and train more volunteers to help cover our public service opportunities in the new library.
Everyone around here will tell you that Tuesday is the busiest day of the week at the library. I wonder how opening on Monday will affect that. I guess we are about to find out.
If you, or someone you know, remembers a time when Camp Verde Community Library was open on Mondays, we’d love to hear about it. Are we making history with this move or aren’t we? Stop in and let us know what you think.